Granite or Engineered Stone, Which is for You?
There are benefits and drawbacks to both granite and engineered stone. Here is a look at 4 of the dissimilarities so that you can figure out which one will best fit your lifestyle. When it comes to deciding on a material for your countertops, keeping these differences in mind will be helpful and assist in leading you to the correct decision. While they both provide a fashionable option, it is critical to know how the materials react and respond so that you will be happy with this investment and your decision.
Here are the 4 main differences:
1. Man-made Compared to Natural
In the high-end market, choosing granite is routine. Not many other materials can match granite in durability and style. Granite is a completely natural material. It is formed by the compression of hot, molten rock deep down inside the core of the earth. This hot liquid-like substance is crushed between the layers of the earth’s crust and as it cools, granite is formed. Granite is treasured in the countertop world because of its vibrant colors, crystalline attributes and overall striking appearance. These qualities and colors come from an array of minerals that are mixed in as the rock, granite is formed. Man-made stone is simply made by man in a factory instead of inside of our earth. Though it is made by man, it is still mostly stone, 95 percent of it is made from natural stone particles. The remaining 5 percent is a type of resin. This is all mixed together and then heated to create a man-made or engineered countertop.
2. Differences in Color and Patterns
Do you value flaws or consistency? When granite is being formed, there is no way for countertop consumers to affect the outcome. Whatever the earth creates is what you get, so the color and patterns of natural stone is going to be inconsistent and change throughout. There are going to be abnormalities. This makes every slice of granite one-of-a-kind. There is no option for complete matching or consistency in patterns. If you enjoy originality and quirkiness, granite will be a good decision for you to make.
Engineered stone provides the consistency in color and patterns that granite will never be able to offer. So if you want uniformity you will definitely be leaning more towards engineered stone. A consumer can have a lot of influence over the design and color of engineered countertops. Also there are many more options in color with engineered stone compared to granite. Engineered stone offers an unvarying style and look, but cannot offer the matchless tones or ever-changing design of granite.
Which option will you have to worry more about with chipping? Granite and engineered stone are already top-of-the-line choices. These are upgrades and superior to all other choices, so chipping isn’t a fore front issue, but in some cases it does happen. Maintenance and proper installation is the most important thing that you can do to prevent cracking and chipping. The maintenance on both of these options is relatively low. Granite, because it is a natural substance, demands a little bit more. Engineered stone is denser and weighs more, which makes it nearly indestructible. Granite, like all natural stone, has unseen areas of weaknesses and fissures where cracks can tend to start emerging. Granite countertops must be correctly coated with sealant in order to protect it. If this is done correctly and during the correct times, it becomes a non-issue.
The smooth surface offered by both engineered stone and granite makes cleaning a breeze. A wet cloth and some gentle soap is all that you need. Granite is more sensitive to chemicals and more prone to staining just due to the natural porous qualities of a real rock. Engineered stone surface is completely flush so it is very resilient to substances and discoloration.
Knowing the difference between granite and engineered stone is essential in deciding on what type of countertop to choose for your kitchen, client, build or project. Understanding the above four distinctions are helpful and will help point you in the right direction. Primera Interiors has a team of experts that can walk you through the choices and you can visit our showroom to see our displays and examples in person. Countertops are a big and semi-permanent investment. Primera offers each of our clients elegant choices in both natural and engineered countertops. They are both excellent choices, so it isn’t a decision between quality and beauty but simply one of fit. Primera Interiors can help you bring rock solid beauty to your interiors.